14 December 2012

Overview of the 2012 FMQ Challenge






SewCalGal hosted an incredible quilt challenge this year where we had an expert quilter every month who gave a tutorial on their particular field of free motion quilting.  I knew very little about this art when we started in January and was so excited to begin this course. 

Oh my goodness, words just cannot describe what I learned during this course.  What I was able to produce each month tells the story!  I gained confidence in myself; that I could do it and with practice it actually got better.  I enjoyed reading about each tutor when SewCalGal introduced them at the beginning of the tutorial and they became more than just names I had heard of.  I learned more about basic essentials needed to make free motion quilting easier to handle - from adjusting my chair to the correct height to using a "Supreme Slider", gloves and bobbin washers that I ordered from Leah Day.  Wow what a difference they made. We were encouraged to try different threads, in fact my variety of threads has grown so much that I've had to buy additonal containers for them all.  We were encouraged to try different battings.  Unfortunately where we live in South Africa, I do not have access to the many battings that are available in the States or UK, so these are definitely on my bucket list for ordering online.  Learning about the different needles I found very interesting too.  My favourite now is the titanium 80/12 for doing free motion. 

Free motion quilting has become my passion; feathers and swirls are my favourites and I've already used them in many of my projects.  As a young child learns to write, the formation of the letters change as they practice and gain more confidence.  The same applies to free motion quilting - you develop your own style after a while which becomes unique to you.

And now I would love to show you what I have achieved this year. My very sincere thanks go to you SewCal Gal.  I know that it has taken much of your time and effort, not to mention the expense and time away from your precious family to host this year of  FMQ tutorials.  Hopefully you will find rest over the festive season!

Challenge Quilt 2012






 
I would love to sneak in a photo of a quilt I have recently completed putting all I have learned this year into practice, using many different stitches we have learned.  I pieced it with a lot of negative space to show the quilting.  It has pride of place in my lounge!
 
Chocolat et Creme



 

 

10 comments:

  1. Carolyn - Both quilts are absolutely gorgeous! It's so neat to see these wrap-up posts and see how much progress we've all made. It's been an exciting, rewarding year. Congratulations on completing the challenge! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanne, your kind words have always been an encouragement to me. Yes it certainly has been an exciting year and it's been great to see everyone's progress. Merry Christmas to you and Ray!

      Delete
  2. You did a fantastic job on both quilts, Carolyn. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. Sadly the year has come to an end. Can't wait what 2013 has in store for us! Christmas greetings to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Un sampler muy bonito. Se ve muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are delicious, but I especially love your second quilt, Chocolat et Creme - the piecing and the quilting look absolutely stunning! Congratulations for finishing the FMQ Challenge and for producing such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to try practicing and see what I can do. I surely have enough UFOs that need to be quilted! If I could be half as good as this I would be pleased...
    Dawn in USA

    ReplyDelete