12 December 2012

FMQ - December





Oh boy, was I looking forward to this month's challenge by Patsy Thompson; and it did not disappoint!  I enjoy Patsy's website and have watched and learned so much from her video tutorials.  What an exciting world.

She taught us that the border zones of a quilt are special areas in that they act as frames for whatever is inside them.  What a lovely way to put it!  Multiple borders quilted in different designs and the way they will interact with each other will add a new richness to a quilt.  Here is an example of different border designs she so kindly gave us to download.  I love the look of those feathers - so different.

 

Here is my final December fmq done on my Challenge Quilt.  My entry falls under her number 3 of her challenge to us.  Unfortunately when I made this "challenge quilt" in January, I did not put enough thought into the fabric that I chose for the border as it's difficult to see the quilted design, but if you click on the photo it does enlarge it and is a little clearer.



Challenge Quilt 2012



Here is a close up of a corner but still not very clear.

Top right corner


Here is a shot of the back showing a little of the border where the feathers are clearer.

Back of quilt
 

Well, sadly this was the last of 12 months of wonderful tutorials on perfecting our free motion quilting skills.  A huge thank you to SewCalGal for your time and effort you have put into organizing  professional teachers who have kindly given of their time and expertise to share their knowledge of this exciting art.  My fmq skills have certainly surpassed my expectations and the confidence I have in myself to produce beautiful work (I'm still getting there), is beyond thanks!  And of course the many lovely "friends" I have made along the way.....hopefully we have all been an encouragement to each other.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a quiltfull 2013!


 

8 comments:

  1. Carolyn, your sampler quilt is simply beautiful! What a lasting memento of a special year of learning and meeting so many other quilters! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, this is gorgeous and the border fits it perfectly! We have been traveling and will be home tonight. Don't think if I'll get to this month's challenge for a few days but you certainly gave me another great idea! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work and the year has paid off well I think as we all got some great lessons form great teachers and have put what we have learned to use. Thanks for sharing your December lesson.
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Carolyn. Lovely to share all that you have done through the year . Merry Christmas and a wonderful New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, does your FMQ Sampler Quilt look amazing. What a spectacular quilt to show off your FMQ skills. You did a great job.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sampler quilt is beautiful. The feather border looks fabulous! Bravo.. very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sampler quilt. Your feathers are amazing! Such great work. I still have December's lesson to do. Just need to find the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sampler quilt and what a wonderful keepsake and reference! Alas, my sewing machine is suffering from a traumatic illness, and has really slowed me down. I still hope to finish the December tutorial on time.

    ReplyDelete